Sunday, 22 April 2012

Becoming an alchemist

As most of you may have read, I have been experimenting with Swellegant over the past week. Great fun!
Imagine, crazy looking woman, with multiple brushes in her hand, looking at several pieces of clay and metal on a sheet in no particular order... bottles open in front... and big grin on her face! woohaaa.

I needed to try out these products on other things than clay and after seeing what Diane Laurence did to a cheap looking metal bracelet, I dug out the filigree and laser cut thingies that were gathering dust somewhere in the dungeons of my cabinet.  Did I mention before that I really have a problem with throwing things out?

So I gave them the same treatment as the tiles:
Swellegant brass + rust + dye... and then I walked away and checked Facebook :), as you do...

Brass and copper filigree pieces treated with Swellegant
brass and rust +... another ingredient:

I wanted to play with the Inka Golds I got from my friend Teia
and the combination was fabulous!

I cut the butterfly apart to make earrings :)

Rubbed a bit of the Inka gold on the rusty looking pieces.




Now I had all these much nicer looking pieces.  Now, what to do with them??????

I figured that the green/blues would go well with amber/red, so I decided to combine roll out a sheet of red Premo and press the filigree onto it.

Et voila', my earrings for this week of the 52 earrings a week challenge :)



So I got this lovely surprise box in the mail from Teia (you got to love the girl :))))) which included, among lovely other things, samples of Inka Gold!  I used a bit on the filigree but I had MORE experimenting to do!!!

And then I had another idea.  I was not particularly keen on the Swellegant iron at first because it did not give me the results I was looking for. But.. having played with the Inka gold on the pieces (above).. I decided to give it a fair chance :)  I make flowers with the leftover from the red I used for the earrings (also above).
I put a layer of Swellegant Iron on it, then used the Darkening Patina.. let it dry, and added a few strokes of Inka Gold to the raised areas.  It looks soooo metallic and old now and I am rather pleased with the result :)




When I saw this red flower transforming into this antiqued piece, I felt  like the alchemists must hve felt hundreds of years ago:)

Got tired and had to stop playing... one of these things... but not without sharing a few results with you :)

Have a great creative weekend,

Chris

9 comments:

  1. Hello Chris!

    You're a wizard, lady :) I love how you changed that red flower into this very metallic looking one. And it's just super cool that you can combine the Swellegant with those Inka Gold samples! Exciting combination!

    Hugs to you and have a good rest after all this agitation...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teia :) I need to refrain myself from covering everything I see!!

      Delete
  2. Wow. I love how the red turned out....It will be interesting to see how it looks on other colors as well. keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roberta, was thinking of faux amber and some blues...

      Delete
  3. I have to have this stuff, obviously. Saving my pennies starting NOW. Your experiments look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that flower looks ancient - not like something you made this weekend! And certainly not at all like polymer clay - not that there is anything wrong with looking likely polymer clay obviously cause I love the stuff! Look forward to seeing what you do next! Is anything safe in your house lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cara, it certainly is a great way to use scrap clay or to finally find a use for those cheap looking metal findings :) - hehe.. you know me so well! NOTHING is safe in my house! The dogs are looking at me with a scared look too :)

      Delete
  5. Oh WOW, what incredible results! The transformation of the flower in your talented hands is awesome, such sweet and delicate butterfly wings and I particularly love the somewhat fan shaped earrings with the amber/red filigree! Moe told me I had to scurry over and see the amazing pieces you'd been doing recently and I'm sure glad that I did.

    ReplyDelete